Friday, February 10, 2012

The Pilsen Project - WHO: Miguel Cortez


Q&A with Art Pilsen's Miguel Cortez (Part 1 of 3)
Miguel Cortez: "My life is art."
Picture by Katherine Hall
Meet Miguel Cortez, the man behind Art Pilsen. In addition to being a full-time designer, the 41-year old artist and gallery owner manages Art Pilsen in an effort to promote Pilsen’s dynamic art scene. The Pilsen Project team recently caught up with Cortez to talk about Marcel Duchamp, volleyball and everything in between.

How did Art Pilsen come about?
I started the site in 2004. Before that my friend had a similar site, ArtPilsen.com which was a simpler website with listings of all the events. He had the website from 2002 to 2003 and then he moved to California for his graduate degree and he told me that I could take over. It’s a side project so whenever I get press releases, I post them on the blog so it varies depending on what I get. It’s updated weekly or monthly depending on the information that I receive.

Why did you feel the need to create Art Pilsen?
[The area] has been changing for many years and galleries come and go. I felt there was a need to post information on openings specific to that area. The size of the galleries varies across Pilsen from Halsted to Damen.

How did you get involved in the art scene?
I’m an artist and I’ve been living in Pilsen since 1996 – my life is art.

(Next: Part 2)

Irish S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment