Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Catching up with Alex Cohen (Part 2 of 2)



(Continued from Part 1)
Where do you often find ideas or inspiration for your work?
Listening to music, walking around my school or the city, skateboarding with friends or at night when I'm unable to sleep. All the moments in life that seem exciting. Sometimes, the sky is a weird blue and it bounces off the buildings when I'm crossing the Monroe or Jackson Street Bridge by the Art Institute. That tweaks me out and excites me, too.

What other types of media do you hope to experiment with?
Hmm... I don't know right now. I would like to be a better craftsmen. I would like to work more with wood and also learn how to use saws and tools. But I'm very much intimidated by all those things. I think I like cardboard canvas and paper because I can use them easily. Ceramics is also rad - I love the
process. Maybe music would be the correct answer, though. I would really like to be a rapper.



Can you describe the concept behind your installations?
Fun, really. I would just like to create an area where someone could go to have fun and feel nice. I think of children's hospitals.


What do you think of the art scene in Chicago as a whole?
I think it's actually a really fun city to make art in. There are alot of great artists. The imagists are amazing. The graffiti is sick. There are a lot of great things happening. Hopefully they'll let buster in, aha. I also have a show at Co-prosperity on March 3 and I have some
 stuff in the Chicago Zine Fest. I will be releasing a new Zine for parkingblockpublishing.


No comments:

Post a Comment