Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Artist Snapshot: Alvaro Sahagun (Part 2 of 2)

(interview with Sahugan continued.....)
 
3.) What do you appreciate about the Pilsen art community?
I love Pilsen and its art community. I enjoy its urban environment, the cultural richness in the environment it’s around. When I was a young boy I had a lot of family in the little village / Pilsen area. I would love to spend weekends there and be around the liveliness of the community. The murals and overall ambience for me as a child was very welcoming.  I love the abundance of art galleries and their Friday exhibits.  I love the art work that is displayed as well, it’s great community that fosters growth for young artist that are at the beginning of their careers. The freshness and “cool” (contemporary style) artwork is fascinating to me.
4.) What galleries has your work been featured at?
My artwork has been featured at Union Street Gallery, Visual Arts Gallery, Moraine Valley College Art Gallery and at the Governors State University Library.

5.) Any upcoming shows??
Yes! My artwork Naturalized Citizens was just accepted to a National exhibition at Union Street Gallery (http://www.unionstreetgallery.org/) by Juror Elizabeth Whiting curator for the Union League Club of Chicago. I was also invited to display my art at the same location for an exhibition in April of 2012 titled Threshold. Threshold will provide me with 13 feet of wall space where I may display my art, it’s intended to highlight beginning artist.  I will also be in a student exhibition in May 2012 where the judge will be Jeff Zimmerman, Chicago muralist artist. 
For more information about my artwork please visit.
Twitter: @lsahagun2

-Monica M.

No comments:

Post a Comment